Boots for the Gentleman by Augusta Li and Eon de Beaumnt

Monday, September 26, 2011
This is a wild ride! 4.5, I think, but rounded up for being so creative and original. I really haven't read anything like this before. It's more of an action-adventure story than a romance, just with gay main characters. This won't be for everyone, because it is really different.

First, the characters aren't typical heroes. Querry, the character whose POV the story is told, is a thief, a bit of a slut, and at times so reckless he's almost silly. That's who he is though, and he just won't bow to anybody. I kind of liked that about him, even when he made bad decisions, he was true to what he believed. He's had a rough life, and really could have turned out a lot worse than he did. He steals from rich people, but has a sort of code of honor of his own. He's a little arrogant and frustrated me at times, but overall I understood his motives, to survive and be free. Reg grew up with Querry, got a good break, and wants to lead a good life, which means getting married and breeding kids. When it comes down to it, he can't abandon his old friend and first love, and actually can kick some ass when he needs to.

Frolic, I loved. I don't want to ruin the surprises but that's him on the cover. He's a great character,personality, skills, beauty, everything. I loved him, and it hurt when he had to suffer and be confused.

The plot of this book is non stop action. There are plenty of fights, there's magic, and there's crazy technology. Querry gets his ass kicked A LOT. He takes it though, because he's so strong in his beliefs, and after a while so strong in his need to protect Reg and Frolic. The faeries are great, not human at all in their thinking. They're scary and intriguing at the same time, especially Querry's special "gentleman."

There are times when it feels like Querry is cheating, but I didn't hate him and kind of understood. There's no spoken restrictions on any of the men in the relationship, and he seems pretty confused. It felt realistic, what he did. That's my opinion, and other people might not agree, but it made sense in the context.

If you read this whole rambling mess, hey thanks!

Buy

0 comments:

Post a Comment